Comethazine: was the wait worth it?

Sophie Fenton

Connect Zero starts his Roseland show wearing an orange ski mask. His stage presence energized the crowd before Comethazine started his show.

By Sophie Fenton, Staff Writer

Huddles of excited fans gathered in the foyer of the Roseland Theater on Dec. 5, as they eagerly awaited the arrival of rapper Comethazine and his openers, Connect Zero and Mike the True. 

On tour for his latest album release of “BAWSKEE 3.5”, released in 2019, Comethazine has been on the rise among teenagers across the country. He offers high energy, exciting, and explicit music that appeals to a lot of younger listeners. 

The concert took place on the ground floor of the Roseland Theater in it’s Peter’s Room–a more intimate setting compared to the main stage located upstairs. Framed band photos, vintage concert posters, and memorabilia cover the walls from top to bottom, giving off a comfortable and funky vibe. 

Compared to the other concerts I have attended, this specific stage did not offer any space between the performer and the crowd. While this may have been enjoyable for fans–giving them an opportunity to be closer to their favorite artist–it also created a lack of security. The performers didn’t seem to mind though, as Mike the True lifted up two teenage boys out of the crowd onto the stage to hype up everyone in the room. 

The night kicked off at 7:30 with local SoundCloud rapper Connect Zero. Sporting a neon orange ski mask, sparkling grills, and icy chains, Zero was able to interact with the audience throughout his performance. Throughout his time on stage, he shook hands with fans and crowd surfed a total of four times. Afterwards, in between his appearance and Comethazines, Zero joined the audience, taking pictures and conversing with fans. At one point he even signed a girl’s shoe. Despite never hearing of Connect Zero before the concert, I was still able to enjoy his performance and energy. 

Right from the beginning, the whole room was filled with chaotic energy. People were moshing and continuously bumping into each other, creating an overall lively demeanor that  made the concert easy to get invested in.

Following Connect Zero, the crowd was anxious for the arrival of Comethazine. However, he was nowhere to be seen. The crowd stood in confusion for about an hour after Zero left, waiting for the main performer while listening to the same five songs on repeat. After about 20 minutes, growls of “Where is he?” and “Bring him out!” could be heard scattered about the audience. It was at 40 minutes with no Comethazine that the crowd became antsy and bored in the stifling heat of an enclosed space. Trying to cure this boredom, fights and a mosh pit broke out. 

It was an hour after Zero finished that Comethazine finally came out. I was annoyed to say the least. But, that all washed away with the sudden high energy of the crowd. Instantaneously, the crowd welcomed Comethazine with loud screams and phones in the air. Comethazine’s attitude was very much what I predicted, which was loud, aggressive, and energetic–the perfect mix for a rap performer. 

It wasn’t just Comethazine’s energetic stage presence that got the audience all riled up, but also the opening song “HENCH MAFIA.” It was clear from the first few notes of the song and the audience’s reaction that it was going to be a wild night. During the middle of his set, he performed a few songs from fellow incarcerated rapper Tay-K, including “The Race” and “M… She Wrote.” 

The highlight of my concert experience was with the performance of “Demi” and “DeMar DeRozan,” my two favorite Comethazine songs. Overall it was an interesting night, full of sweat, energy and, unfortunately, waiting. 

Jason Marchand of Double Tee Concerts/Roseland Theater gave me the multimedia press pass to cover the event for my school newspaper.