Catching success as a young team

THSs+Girls+Varsity+Softball+may+be+young%2C+but+they+still+had+a+successful+season.+

Leah Sandoz

THS’s Girl’s Varsity Softball may be young, but they still had a successful season.

By Makayla Schmierer, Online Editor

They may have been young, but that didn’t stop them from making the playoffs like old pros.

Varsity girls softball had their last playoff game on May 25 in North Medford, closing their captivating season. Starting off strong and intense, the girls team went 11-3 in their league play ending 2nd in league, right behind rivals Tualatin. The chemistry between the team, which is primarily underclassman with only two seniors, has been the key to their success. “We work really well together, we have a young team and I think it helps us work together better,” junior shortstop Maddie Hoover said.

After a close 1-0 lose against Tualatin, it didn’t give the team a huge set back but rather pushed them forward with more intensity.

“I feel like the season has been really good so far, we have showed the league that we are a tough competitor and playoffs is going to show that even more,” sophomore Katelyn Erickson said. The Tigers bounced back with wipeout wins against Lakeridge, Canby, Lake Oswego, Sherwood, and Newberg. After their five game win streak, a close 3-1 loss against West Linn and a incredible 19-1 second win against Lakeridge led the girls to compete against Tualatin again with a lose at home.

A second win against Canby, Lake Oswego, Sherwood, and Sunset lead the Tigers to the playoff rounds 2nd in league.

“I feel that the season is going well and that we are playing cohesively,” sophomore catcher Emily Paulsen said, “We are feeling really good about our game heading into playoffs.”

Advancing to the playoffs rounds, Tigard competed against Forest Grove at home and got a 10-0 win, progressing them to the second round of playoffs at North Medford. After the four hour bus ridel to North Medford, the Tigers fall 9-2 ending their season.
Two seniors, pitcher Ashley Davis and catcher Caroline Riggs, played their last game for the Tigers that Friday against North Medford. Davis will be attending George Fox University to play softball at the collegiate level and Riggs will be attending University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

“After the seniors leave, there will be a different dynamic and new chemistry. We will miss them a lot and we will be losing a lot of talent,” Paulsen said, “Some goals we have for next season is that we want to work just as hard and make it far into the playoffs.”

Moving onto a new season, the girls softball team is ready to bounce back and show everyone what Tigard has to offer. The entire varsity team, subtracting Davis and Riggs, are ready to play with each other for another year and grow a stronger bond on and off the field. With a outstanding record this season, the team is ready to work hard and make Davis and Riggs proud.