Winter sports take on STATE!

Wondering how your favorite team did? Check it out

Ian Benitez

Sophomore Summer Schroder starts her run-through for the Banked Slalom competition on Feb. 5. “There’s nothing quite like the feeling of snowboarding, it’s rewarding to not only be able to do it but to be good enough at it to compete at state is really cool,” Schroder said.

By Liz Blodgett, Design Editor

With all of the winter sports wrapping up, Tigard’s success within each sport is starting to show. Many teams and groups have made it to their upcoming state competitions. As of now, Tigard has 7 different teams going to either state or nationals. 

Wrestling: With completing their season with three wins and three losses, the wrestling team has 5 state qualifiers competing at state. Among those are seniors Cameron O’Connor, Johnny Nomani and Zack Vorvick, sophomore Atticus Waddell, and freshman Chase Dennis. 

“It’s pretty cool cause it’s the third time I’ve competed at state I think, and it’s just a good opportunity and there’s tons of good guys that can wrestle really well and I have a chance at a state title,” O’Connor said. 

The state team headed to the Memorial Coliseum for the championship on Feb 28 and 29th. O’Connor placed 2nd and Nomani placed 6th in their respective weight classes. 

Dance: Being the 2 time state champions, the Tigerettes will be heading to nationals this year to represent Tigard High School and the state of Oregon. 

“I am so excited to go to nationals with the team but there is also pressure at practice since we want to do our best. It’s also kind of unbelievable and does not feel like the season is ending soon too,” senior Makenna Apau said. 

Preparing the nationals intiles lots of hardwork in dedication to the sport in hopes that they will compete well and to their best abilities.

“The most rewarding experience from dance is when we dancers and coaches, put in hours upon hours of hard work in practice and then we are able to present our work on the floor. I feel as though dance is unique in that it is a very rigorous sport, but also a work of storytelling without words,” senior Alexis Clark said. 

The Tigerettes will be headed to Anaheim, California for the nationals competition on March 20-21st. 

Swimming: With losing many seniors last swim season, the Tigard swim team focused this year on building their skills and abilities. However, Tigard was able to send two of their swimmers to the state competition on Feb 21-22nd, juniors Jaden Nguyen and Nathaniel Whitehead.

“I had a great time with all my friends from the club who don’t swim on Tigard and with Jaden Nguyen, my state team buddy! There was a lot of great competition, especially in my two events,” Whitehead said. “Each event was filled with a bunch of great guys who are all hard workers and that just pushed me to do even better and swim even harder against them!”

Whitehead ended the state meet finishing 8th in the 200 IM and 4th in the 100 backstroke. Nguyen finished 11th in the 100 breaststroke.

“It was a ton of fun getting to compete because it was my first year actually competing in an individual event, and it definitely was a big accomplishment for me,” Nguyen said. 

Ski: The girls ski team ended their league season with 6 first place wins, sending them to compete in the state competition this year. Along with that Luke Wargo and Mitchell Atwood are also competing in the state competition. 

“Definitely all the friends and memories I’ve made over the last 4 years. I love how in ski racing everyone is so supportive of each other regardless of if you’re on the same team or not,” senior Corin Hartnell said. 

Though the boys team had a bumpy start to their season with multiple injuries, Wargo and Atwood were able to push through and compete their hardest.

“It’s very bittersweet for me. On one hand I’m very happy and grateful to be going to state as an individual,” Wargo said. “On the other hand I’m super sad that my team won’t be coming along with me.”

Ski will be heading to the state competition on March 5-7th. 

Thespians: Theatre will be attending their state competition on April 10. Thespians will attend multiple conferences throughout the first two days and then on the third day state winners will compete against each other in a theatre competition.

“It’s very scary [knowing that I will be competing in state], but I feel so strong that Tigard will end with a win. We have worked hard and my cast mates have worked their butts off to get there,” junior Dryden Raschdorf said. 

Not all the thespians attending state will be competing on the stage, some will be competing for costumes or makeup or tech. 

“I’m competing in the makeup design tech category at state for my work on Shrek the Musical! I’m excited to share my work. The great thing about competing with Oregon Thespians is that winning honestly isn’t the first priority,” senior Cait Smith said. 

Snowboard: The entire snowboard team (boys and girls) will be attending state. After having a successful season with lots of hard work and dedication, everyone qualified. 

“It feels amazing [going to state],” sophomore Summer Schroder said. “I wasn’t sure I could make it this year, but I practiced extra hard and it paid off.” 

State will be held at Mt. Hoot meadows on March 10-13th. State will consist of intense competition and many different events for everyone to compete in.

“I feel collapsed in adrenaline because it’s my first time going to state,” freshman Jordan Gilbert said. “I’m looking forward to the friendly competition between other skilled athletes.”