Lauren Paven and Lauren McFall sign letters of intent

By James Canfield, Photo Editor

Two of Tigard’s track and field athletes, Lauren McFall and Lauren Paven, signed letters of intent on April 26.

McFall received a scholarship to throw javelin for University of California Los Angeles’s track and field program. “I chose UCLA for many reasons, but the most important of them was that on both of my visits down there, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was meant to be a student [there],” McFall said.

Paven will be attending University of Idaho on a scholarship to run track. “On my official visit, they treated me like family,” Paven said, “I felt like I could succeed there in not only track, but also academics.”

Both McFall and Paven have had successful careers on the Tigard team. In the BMW Portland Ultimate Invitational event on April 20, McFall took first in javelin with a season record throw of 127-11, and Paven took first in the 4×100 and 4×400 relays.

“[My favorite part of running track is] probably the excitement of getting to compete and race individuals that will make you better and faster,” Paven said.

“I love that I’m always competing against myself and the incredible coaching staff we have here at Tigard,” McFall said, “Many of the coaches I’ve known since I was in seventh grade and it’s going to be hard to leave them after this season.”

Now that they’ve signed, they have a big pressure that many seniors feel taken off of their chests. “I feel so great,” Paven said, “it’s nice that this is out of the way and I can enjoy the rest of my senior year.”

Both UCLA and University of Idaho are Division I schools, the highest level of college athletics, and will be receiving two great athletes in Paven and McFall. “I feel relieved, scared, and really excited for the new adventures to come,” McFall said.