The Paw

Teachers share plans for Thanksgiving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers share plans for Thanksgiving

Geoffrey Jarman is planning on making chocolate pecan pie and playing golf in the dark over Thanksgiving weekend.

Maria Sotelo

Maria Sotelo

Maria Sotelo

By Maria Sotelo, Staff Writer

Everyone celebrates Thanksgiving in different ways, but French teacher Kathleen Williams, and biology/AVID teacher Geoffrey Jarman have a few unique ideas this year.

Maria Sotelo
Kathleen Williams plans to spend Thanksgiving with family. But in the past she celebrated in France, no pumpkins.

Williams plans on spending time with her family, but she’s celebrated some pretty odd Thanksgivings in the past. As a foreign exchange student, Williams had to stay away from home a couple times during the holiday. Because of this, she once had a small dinner with the other foreign exchange students.

“They didn’t have exactly the same things,” Williams said. “They didn’t have pumpkins, so trying to make a pumpkin pie in France was a bit of a challenge.”

As she is a vegetarian, Williams eats mushrooms instead of turkey with her sister on Thanksgiving. Her typical Thanksgiving table consists of pumpkin and pecan pies (which she makes from scratch), sweet potatoes, and an astounding three different cranberry sauces.

“We end up having three different types of cranberries because my mom prepares them three different ways, and nobody likes the same way,” Williams said.  

Meanwhile, Jarman will be going to Sunriver this year with his wife and kids to spend time with their large family. “We go night golfing on the Sunriver Golf Course because the course is all closed down, so we usually go out with a couple of wedges and some glow balls and play,” Jarman said.

Jarman will also be making several dishes for his family to enjoy. “I make chocolate pecan pie, smoke salmon that I caught, or take some of the deer that we get and make pepperoni and sausage out of it,” Jarman said.

However you choose to spend your Thanksgiving, be sure to show your appreciation this holiday season.

Jarman’s Chocolate Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

4 eggs

½ cup sugar

½ cup brown sugar

½ cup chocolate chips

2 cups pecans

~1 teaspoon vanilla

~1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 preformed pie crust

Steps:

1. Mix all ingredients and pour into pie crust
  2. Bake at 425 degrees for 55 minutes or until brown