The same-day situation

With Tigard and Tualatin holding their hoco dances on the same day, some students have to make a choice

By Noah Vu, Delena Do, Staff Writers

Homecoming is a day of excitement for many as students all around anticipate a night of fun and adventure. During homecoming, it’s common for students to go with people from other schools—whether it be their date or just a friend they brought along. 

This “tradition” was interrupted this year as both Tigard and Tualatin High held the homecoming dance on the same day. This was a problem as some students had to choose which homecoming they want to attend, which ended up separating groups. 

Sophomore Mya Samsulbahri from Tualatin was upset with the situation. “I am angry because I have friends going to both and I have to choose which one I want to go to,” Samsulbahri said in the week before the dance. She was one of many students who felt the same way. 

One of Samsulbahri’s main concerns was how overcrowded the restaurants can get when both schools have homecoming on the same day. For some, it’s a well-known tradition for people to go out for dinner (in groups or with their date) before the dance. A solution to avoid the crowds is to book early reservations and make a concrete plan instead of winging it at the last moment. However, many restaurants that are popular during homecoming such as Olive Garden do not take reservations for small parties, and other establishments operate exclusively on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis.

Although some students were disappointed by the planning (or possible lack thereof) for this year’s homecoming day, others believed this to be a smart move. 

“I think that it’s somewhat good that all the homecomings are on the same day so that each of them aren’t overcrowded and people can’t sneak in other people,” sophomore Skylar Soon said. 

In order to get into the Tigard dance when coming from a different school, you must have a guest pass and enter the dance with the Tigard student who has given you the pass. Tigard students are only allowed one guest pass each and there have been many occasions where students ask other students to give them their guest pass so that they can bring multiple people from different schools. This is an issue because it promotes a lack of security since the school cannot keep track of everyone. 

This year’s homecoming dance was planned by the choir team in order for them to raise money for their program. “The choir program here at Tigard needs funding and homecoming is a huge part of that,” senior Cat Terrell said. “All we can do is hope that it will be enough[…] I think the cons outweigh the pros.” As the director of the dance, Terrell is hoping for more people to show up to Tigard’s dance rather than Tualatin’s so that choir can get the funding they need.

Attendance is key for choir to be able to raise money, but having the dance on the same day as another school in the district meant competition between Tigard and Tualatin. “However, the count right now looks like it’s going in our favor and I know that we have the better DJ and a better organized dance so I’m counting on it playing to our favor,” choir director Robert Hawthorne said.

Despite the split between the two schools, the homecoming dance still ended up a fun day for all.