Football players react to Ruecker’s retirement

Ruecker didn’t just coach football, he coached life

CJ Hilgaertner

Players surround Coach Ruecker to celebrate their victory over West Linn. Ruecker, who has been a head coach for 42 years, 10 at Tigard, announced his retirement this week.

By Jared Debban, Sports Editor

As 2018 comes to a close, so does head football coach Craig Ruecker’s time on the football sidelines. After 48 years of coaching, 10 of those at Tigard, Ruecker announced his retirement on Tuesday.

Ruecker is one of the most successful high school football coaches in Oregon with 308 wins. His teams have advanced to the playoffs 31 times and won the state championship twice. While at Tigard, his teams advanced to the playoffs every year he was with the program.

Coach Ruecker stated in his letter to players that was posted to Twitter that with increasing health complications it has become harder to do his job to the best of his ability.

“It’s really sad because playing for him the past couple years, I really understood how much he loves the game of football,” senior Carter Dennis said.

“One of the most important things I’ll takeaway is that he taught us a variety of life lessons and taught us to be great young men,” junior Bryce Goetz said.

Coach Ruecker’s impact on the lives of all the young men will be remembered long after their football careers are over.

“He has taught us so many things and we are so thankful for him as our coach,” junior Josh Burns said.

“It is very sad to see him retire, but I’m glad that he retired in a happy way,” Dennis said.

The Tigard football players are sad to see Ruecker go but are happy he is doing what is best for him.

“Right now I am saddened that he won’t be the man we look up to to lead our football team,” Goetz said.

Goetz will always remember Ruecker saying, “it’s amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit.” This attitude of selflessness could be transferred from the football field to life.

Ruecker taught his football players not just football but valuable life lessons.