Students protest “don’t say gay” bill

Vanesa Barragan

Students gather in the courtyard in protest against recent passage of the “don’t say gay” bill. They carry pride flags and signs with them.

By Molly Fast, Staff Writer

On Mar. 8, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed what has become known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill into law. This law prohibits teachers to discuss topics of gender identity and sexual orientation for grades kindergarten through third grade in all public schools. This law has been at the forefront of anger and criticism from LGBTQ+ students not only in Florida, but across the United States.

At 10:40 a.m. Tigard students walked out of their classrooms and met in the courtyard to protest against the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. Over 200 schools across the nation also participated in the walkout. 

Holding pride flags and signs, students made their way around the school and out to the football field to share their stories and experiences being a part of the LGBTQ+ community.

Students passed around a microphone and spoke on being queer at Tigard and the importance of LGBTQ+ education in schools.

Multiple students spoke on figuring out their gender or sexual orientation at a young age, yet they had no resources to turn to at school. Others spoke about being called derogatory slurs and harassed by fellow Tigard students for being queer. 

In total, the walkout lasted about one hour with approximately 100 students participating.   

“It’s our job as the queer youth to make a stand for the future and what is right,” junior Grace Schroeder said. “Change starts with the people, and change starts with us.”