Black History Month: how the Tigard community is celebrating

Keiry Muhammad, Maktar Sy

Black Student Union meets every Thurday after school from 4 – 5 PM in room 311.

By Meileen Arroyo, Staff Writer

The month of February is nationally known as Black History Month. This month celebrates the achievements, contributions, and sacrifices the Black community has made throughout history. It is an opportunity for people to acknowledge the Black experience through film, literature, music, poetry, and other art forms. The Tigard community is holding many events to celebrate Black History Month locally.

On Feb. 9th Tigard high’s BSU, Black Student Union, hosted a movie night featuring the 2019 film Just Mercy. Just Mercy is based on a true-story and focuses on the 1987 case of Walter McMillian, who was wrongfully convicted of murdering an 18-year old girl, despite the amount of evidence that proved he didn’t commit the crime. On Feb. 10th there was Black History Month celebration double-header basketball game in the main gym. During the game, BSU members sold Black History Month t-shirts to fundraise for their club. Tigard High students were able to show their support during the school-wide spirit week event organized by BSU. The spirit week was held on the week of Feb. 13th – 17th. The spirit days consisted of: Black out day, 2000’s VS 90’s, pajama day, meme day, and Pan-African flag day. 

Currently, BSU has seen an increase in members this school year. Keiry Muhammad, co-president of BSU, talked about wanting to start back up lunch meetings to create stronger bonds with BSU members and the community. 

“We have bonded a lot just this first semester and we have at least 15 people coming to the meetings every Thursday which is really good compared to last year.”

Black History Month is also a time for people to educate themselves on Black History. Some ways people can learn more about Black History and celebrate Black History Month include listening to podcasts, reading books written by Black authors, supporting black-owned businesses, watching movies/documentaries about the Black experience, having important conversations with family/friends, and much more. 

“Since a lot of Black history isn’t taught at school, I take it upon myself to watch movies based on true stories or research different activism that aren’t very known, or different creators,” Muhammad said. “I usually do that during Black History Month and also yearly too.”

Throughout the entire month of February, the ASALH (Association for the study of African American Life and History) is hosting a Black History Month virtual festival. This year’s focus of the month-long celebration is Black resistance in the past and future. The ASALH will be providing the public with online virtual talk events and workshops that discuss different books and topics regarding Black history. This event is open to anyone and is also free for the public. To read more about the ASALH’s virtual event check out the City of Tigard’s online website.  

Black Student Union meets every Thursday after school in room 311 (Herdon’s room). BSU is open to all students and new members are always welcome. Muhammad said,

“I hope that people see our culture and that we build a better bond with the community. This month means a lot to the Black community and I hope people will support us this year.”