Let’s play basketball

By Taylor Wilhoit, Staff Writer

Basketball season has started across the country. According to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) over 26 million Americans play basketball. From young kids playing in the street all the way up to the NBA, people of all ages play this American  sport. All you need is a ball and a hoop.

After the game’s invention in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith in Springfield, Massachusetts, basketball has spread to become one of the most popular sports worldwide. with thousands of kids across America joining some type of organized team this season- whether it be at a recreational or high school level.

“I love basketball,” says sophomore high school player Megan Priaulx. “I’m really competitive, so I love playing with the school, because I’m challenged while having a ton of fun.”

For those who decide not to play at the more exclusive club or high school level, there is usually an organized community basketball league for boys and girls of all ages.

“Tigard Basketball Association offers a recreational basketball program for Tigard youth grades 3 through 12. The program is open to all children within the City of Tigard or the Tigard-Tualatin School District. Join us for a fun and rewarding experience learning and playing basketball,” taken from their website, www.tibba.us.

“Rec is just more fun,” says sophomore Blake Chisholm. The league itself isn’t extremely competitive, but focuses more on having a fun time than anything else.

Following in the footsteps of some of the most famous athletes of time, such as Michael Jordan and LeBron James, kids play basketball because they love it. They get the opportunity to be active, hang with friends, and just have fun.Playing at any level brings people the joy of participating in their favorite sport- basketball.