Parish makes history

Kennedy Parish with US History teach Dani Rowe, smiling at the Oregons History Day as Parish received 1st place in her division.

Photo Courtesy of Kennedy Parish

Kennedy Parish with US History teach Dani Rowe, smiling at the Oregon’s History Day as Parish received 1st place in her division.

By Makayla Schmierer, Online Editor

Sophomore Kennedy Parish will be competing in National History Day June 11, after winning 1st place at Oregon’s National History Day. Parish was trying to find a contest that mixes her love for history with her desire to challenge herself beyond what she thinks she is capable of doing, and she found one.

National History Day is a international competition, where students do in depth research about any topic they choose and create either an exhibit, essay, film, play, or a website. This is a year-round contest as students compete in their school, district, state, then advancing to nationals at Maryland University.

The Longest Walk of 1978, a peaceful protest where Native American activists walked from San Francisco to Washington DC, was the concept Parish based her exhibit off of. “It was a protest to 11 federal bills which would almost eradicate their sovereign rights”, Parish said, “It was a topic I was interested in and wanted to know more about”.

When Parish found out that she had won the competition and will be advancing to nationals, she was, “completely, without a doubt, absolutely shocked”. Parish feels privileged in her opportunity to represent Tigard in a national competition. “I have even been nominated to showcase my exhibit at the National Museum of American History so I’m hopeful for that experience as well,” Parish said.

Multiple people have shown their love and support while encouraging Parish on her journey to nationals. “My mom was constantly running me to stores for equipment and supporting me with much moral support,” Parish states. Her family has been her support system throughout this crucial time in her academic career.

Parish is well known around the history block, making connections with many teachers, including her US History teacher Dani Rowe. “Kennedy did the whole project herself, only asking me to show her how to get primary sources online, how to frame your research and where to start to find your topic,” Rowe said. Rowe beams about Parish sharing she “is  Inventive, [has] perseverance, and is inspired,”  and she is so proud of what she has accomplished.

Parish has been hard at work to raise money for her trip. Parish has set up a GoFundme account along with getting support from Rowe and her family to raise more money. When asked about Rowe, Parish said, ”[Rowe] has also done more to help with fundraising, than I can even imagine. She and her husband have been non-stop helping me raise money, and I’m very grateful for their work along with everyone who has helped me fundraise.”

On top of all of this, Tigard Leadership has helped her raise money by giving her the donations from the Powdertuff volleyball tournament and the snowcone stand. If students want to help Parish out, leadership has a donation jar with proceeds that go to Parish. This can be found in McKenzie Coulson’s Leadership classroom, room 214.

Photo Curtesy of Kennedy Parish