Tigard’s still got talent

By Rebecca Ramirez, Staff Writer

This year’s round of Tigard’s Got Talent showcased a vast range of skills; from yoyo tricks to tap dancing, the performers had it all.

Tigard teachers Joe Dessert and Kristi Latimer were the judges of the talent show, and when the performances were through the two judges were faced with the challenge of choosing the top five final contestants, which proved to be impossible: the judges chose a top six. The audience then voted on their favorite act, and three places were awarded.

Freshman Tarin Schneider, a yoyo extraordinaire, received third place. Schneider says he has been practicing yoyo tricks since he was in the fifth grade.

Second place was awarded to senior Paul Harestad who, accompanied by sophomore Jon Irving on the piano, sang “A Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon amd Garfunkel.

“I dedicate this to my family and friends,” said Harestad about the song.

Finally, the first place spot was given to junior Everett Dalton, who performed an original song, “Move On.” With his guitar, lyrics, and voice, Dalton stole the show.

“I was going to perform this song last year,” said Dalton, “but I chickened out. It’s a very personal song about a girl. I wrote it to get myself to move on.”

Dalton’s performance moved him right on to being the 2014 winner of Tigard’s Got Talent.